● He was born in Izmir in 1954 and his family moved to Istanbul in 1958.
● After primary and secondary schools and Robert College, he graduated as a mechanical engineer from The Bogaziçi University in Istanbul in 1979.
● In 1980, he decided not to follow a career as a mechanical engineer and started working in Redhouse Press (an American publishing house in Istanbul) as production coordinator.
● The same year he founded the first children’s books publishing house in Turkey: Mavibulut.
● He got his first award from children with his first picture book “Pan and His Flower.”
● In 1984 he received a scholarship from IYL (International Youth Library) in Munich and studied there for 3 months.
● In 1988 he was asked to give children’s literature courses in Istanbul University, within the Librarianship Department. He received his MA in the same department. He gave various courses on “Children’s Literature”, “Publishing in Turkey”, “Desktop Publishing”, “Information Technologies” for ten years in the same department.
● In 1990 he started to publish a children’s literature magazine “Kırmızıfare” (the Red Mouse.)
● He continued to work in Redhouse Press as an editor of children’s books until 1991.
● In 1997, he was selected as one of the 10 best children’s authors, by Ankara University.
● He finished his wide study on children’s books in 1999 and received his PhD.
● He founded the Association of Children’s Books (which later became the Turkish IBBY) in 1994 and worked as the president for 10 years until 2004.
● He acted as the Turkish associate editor for Bookbird magazine in 1986.
● He started the first Turkish children’s literature research magazine “BinbirKitap” (1001 books).
● He worked in Mavibulut Publishing house as the editor-in-chief until the end of 2013.
● In 2000, he got the 3rd prize in Tudem’s “plays for children” contest with his play “Fa Usta’nın Kemanları” (Master Fa’s violins).
● In 2007-2008, he was chosen “The Best Children’s Author” as a result of a poll made by Bağcılar Atatürk Primary School and Swedish-Turkish Primary School.
● In 2008, he was given the “Children’s Literature Award” by Türkçem Magazine in Prizren, Kosova.
● In 2009, he was chosen “The Best Children’s Author” by Turkish Association of Librarians.
● In June 2009, he was chosen “the guest of honour” during the symposium on children’s literature in Marmara University.
● In May 2012, he was chosen “the guest of honour” during “the symposium on living children’s authors” in Osmangazi University, Eskişehir.
● He has written 62 books for children. They were sold more than 800,000 copies in Turkey alone.
● He has written more than 100 articles on children’s literature.
● He has given seminars on “How to write for children” in Istanbul Bilgi University for 2 years and given a one semester course on “Creative writing” in Yeditepe University.
● He is currenty giving “children’s literature” course in Maltepe University, since 2010.
● He was one of the ALMA 2016 candidates from Turkey.
● He was chosen as the author of “the 2016 symposium on living children’s authors” organised by Osmangazi University in Eskişehir and Çukurova University in Adana.
● He is one of the ALMA 2017 candidates from Turkey.